3/4/11

"Now will I praise those godly men, our ancestors, each in his own time." -Sirach 44:1


* GOD'S FAMILY TREE *

"Now will I praise those godly men, our ancestors, each in his own time." -Sirach 44:1

Think of your godly ancestors. Think of the person that taught you to pray, of Grandma who "prayed all the time," of Dad's holy boldness, and of Uncle Joe, who loved the Church (see Eph 5:25) and died with Jesus' precious name on his lips.

Remember the virtues of the godly men and women in your life (Sir 44:10). Recall Dad's honesty, courage, justice, and love. Think of Mom's purity, kindness, faithfulness, and love.

Thank God for every Christian you've ever met. Thank God especially for the Christians in your ancestry and in your more immediate family. "Their wealth remains in their families, their heritage with their descendants; through God's covenant with them their family endures, their posterity, for their sake" (Sir 44:11-12). You are blessed because of those who have gone before you. "Their bodies are peacefully laid away, but their name lives on and on" (Sir 44:14).

*What spiritual heritage are you giving to the next generation? Will your children, grandchildren, friends, etc. retell your wisdom at family gatherings and proclaim your praise at church? (Sir 44:15) Will God and your family be proud of you and your holy life?

Prayer: Father, may ages to come call me blessed (see Lk 1:48).

Promise: "When you stand to pray, forgive anyone against whom you have a grievance so that Your heavenly Father may in turn forgive you your faults." -Mk 11:25

2 comments:

Daily Grace said...

Wonderful!

Ed Sousa said...

Catholic Prayers: Prayer for Healing the Family Tree

Heavenly Father, I come before You as Your child, in great need of Your help. I
have physical health needs, emotional needs, spiritual needs, and interpersonal
needs. Many of my problems have been caused by my own failures, neglect and
sinfulness, for which I humbly beg Your forgiveness, Lord. But I also ask You to
forgive the sins of my ancestors whose failures have left their effects on me in the
form of unwanted tendencies, behavior patterns and defects in body, mind and
spirit. Heal me, Lord, of all these disorders.
With Your help I sincerely forgive everyone, especially living or dead members of
my family tree, who have directly offended me or my loved ones in any way, or
those whose sins have resulted in our present sufferings and disorders. In the
name of Your divine Son Jesus, and in the power of His Holy Spirit, I ask You,
Father, to deliver me and my entire family tree from the influence of the evil one.
Free all living and dead members of my family tree, including those in adoptive
relationships, and those in extended family relationships, from every
contaminating form of bondage. By Your loving concern for us, heavenly Father,
and by the shed blood of your Precious Son Jesus, I beg You to extend Your
blessing to me and all my living and deceased relatives. Heal every negative effect
transmitted through all past generations, and prevent such negative effects in
future generations of my family tree.
I symbolically place the Cross of Jesus over the head of each person in my family
tree, and between each generation; I ask You to let the cleansing blood of Jesus
purify the blood lines in my family lineage. Set Your protective angels to encamp
around us, and permit Archangel Raphael, the patron of healing, to administer
Your divine healing power to all of us, even in areas of genetic disability. Give
special power to our family members' guardian angels to heal, protect, guide and
encourage each of us in all our needs. Let Your healing power be released at this
very moment and let it continue as long as Your sovereignty permits.
In our family tree, Lord, replace all bondage with a holy bonding in family love.
And let there be an ever deeper bonding with You, Lord, by the Holy Spirit, to
Your Son Jesus. Let the family of the Holy Trinity pervade our family with its
tender, warm, loving presence, so that our family may recognize and manifest
that love in all our relationships. All of our unknown needs we include with this
petition that we pray in Jesus precious Name.
Amen.
[ Rev. John H. Hampsch, C.M.F. ]