10/12/20

 

Offer It Up With Jesus Crucified: Redemptive Suffering

burden

“Offer it up.” Feeling concerned, stressed, out of sorts? Offer it up. Are you suffering physical pain? Offer it up. “Offer it up” is advice that many of us have heard since our childhood. But what does it mean? Can we actually turn our sufferings into something good, and take advantage of the graces the Lord gives us in the moment? How do we best offer it up when we face afflictions? Didn’t Jesus suffer and die for us once and for all?

Offer It Up, As St. Paul Suggests

For years, I’d understood that we should offer up to God whatever seemed to be bothering us. That appears to be pretty simple and straightforward. Yet, there’s more to it than that.  In his letter to the Colossians, St. Paul tells us:

“Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church,” (Col 1:24)

Scripture scholars tell us clearly that this does not mean that Christ’s horrific suffering and death on the cross was somehow incomplete.  Rather, St. Paul is telling us that the Passion of Christ is continued in the members of His mystical body as they unite their sufferings to Jesus. What’s more, St. Paul is not necessarily rejoicing in the suffering per se, but in the fact that he can offer his sufferings for the Church, as an act of charity.

Our Culture Doesn’t Understand “Offer It Up”

How different this all seems compared to the manner in which our current culture views pain and suffering. Our secular culture focuses on feeling good, avoiding pain, seeking pleasure–on doing what’s best for me. After all, it’s all about me, isn’t it? Of course, that’s not the perspective from a Catholic world view. We should take care of our bodies, inasmuch as we’re made up of both body and soul. That means taking care of our health and seeking treatment for illnesses. Yet, as St. Paul tells us in 2 Corinthians:

“but he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ I will all the more gladly boast of my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” (2 Cor 12:9)

Sometimes we can’t avoid suffering. Even in those times when we do suffer, we can count on God’s grace to assist us in our weakness–in our pain and suffering–when we offer it up to God.

Offer It Up, With Jesus Crucified, for An Intention

Pulling these pieces together, when we offer it up, we should offer it up, united to Jesus Christ crucified. We should be joining our afflictions to His. It does not stop there, though. We ought to offer it up for somebody, for something–some intention or intentions. Uniting our sufferings to those of Jesus can result in very real benefits. During these pretty much insane times, each of us probably can think of any number of intentions to offer up our sufferings for. How about an end to abortion and euthanasia? Or perhaps strengthening of the family, selecting the best people for public office, or an end to violent riots? On a more personal level, do you know anyone who’s fallen away from the Church? Perhaps you’d like to obtain the grace of conversion for someone, or mend some relationships? When you’re afflicted, join that affliction to Jesus crucified, and offer it up for a specific intention.

Don’t Let Your Suffering Go to Waste!

When you suffer, don’t waste it! This goes beyond offering it up with Jesus on His cross for your intentions. What sort of attitude do you maintain in your suffering? Do you grumble? Do you fall into a self-focused perspective? Or instead of a pity party, do you give praise and thanks for this opportunity to partake in God’s passive mortification? The fact is that without some passive mortifications dished out or allowed by God, we likely won’t achieve the true unity with Him that we desire. Still, though, our fallen human nature makes it easy for you and me to look a spiritual gift horse in the mouth.

Jesus Is With Us in Our Suffering

As I write this, I face some physical torments that have been with me for months. Medical care professionals are working at discerning the various causes, diagnoses, treatment suggestions, and so on. To be fair, many, many people face far greater suffering than what the Lord’s given me. Even at that, there are times when it’s difficult to keep the spiritual upside in focus–to be grateful for some pruning and cleaning up here on earth before my particular judgment. As with so many things in this life, it’s easier to talk about than to carry out at times. My spiritual director tells me that the discouragement we face in such times is a sign of not really, totally surrendering it all to God. In times of affliction, we can find inspiration from many great saints who faced their own suffering with total surrender to God. St. Therese of Lisieux, St. Elizabeth of the Trinity, and Blessed Herman the Cripple are just a few. You probably have one or more in mind as well. 

I know that the Lord abides in me–He is here with me–and He’s with you–in our suffering. We must never forget that. We can pray to Him: “Jesus, thank you for this opportunity for passive mortification. Please give me the grace and the strength to not waste it. Grant me the grace to grow in humility, patience, perseverance, faith, hope, and Your love for everyone with whom I come into contact. I offer up these sufferings to be united with You and Your sufferings on the cross, for Your greater glory, the conversion of sinners, and [my special intention]. And, Jesus, if it’s Your will, please provide healing and relief of these problems. I pray this in Your name, through the intercession of…”

“Fear nothing. On the contrary, consider yourself very fortunate to have been made worthy to participate in the sufferings of the Man-God.” – St. Padre Pio

No comments: