5/16/15

Do Not Be Afraid



"Do not be afraid. Go on speaking and do not be silenced." -Acts 18:9

On the first Christian Pentecost, the Holy Spirit dealt in a magnificent way with tongues. First, the Spirit appeared in the form of "tongues as of fire" (Acts 2:3). The apostles yielded their formerly silent tongues to speak in both native and foreign languages, proclaiming the prophetic Word of God (Acts 2:4ff). Their hearers used their tongues to repent and ask how to be saved (Acts 2:37).

Once the Spirit has your tongue, the battle begins. Satan accuses you of being foolish (Acts 2:13) and attacks any fears you may have. The world attempts to intimidate and silence you. This is what the apostles experienced once the Spirit took over their tongues. Nevertheless, the apostles yielded to the inspiration of the Spirit, not to the attacks of Satan and the world.
When we yield our tongues to the Spirit, the pressure to stifle the Holy Spirit and hold our tongues is so fierce that the Lord personally assures us: "Do not be afraid. Go on speaking, and do not be silenced, for I am with you" (Acts 18:9).

 The Pentecost Novena, nine days of prayer to prepare to receive the Holy Spirit in fullness at Pentecost. Give the Lord your mind, heart, soul, and tongue. Ask the Lord to teach you "what to say and how to speak" (Jn 12:49). Allow the Holy Spirit to control your speech in both your native tongue and in the spiritual gift of tongues.

 Father, I ask You in Jesus' name to prepare my heart to be a worthy dwelling place for the Holy Spirit.

Father, make me a bold and loving witness for Jesus everywhere.

 "I give you My assurance, whatever you ask the Father, He will give you in My name." -Jn 16:23

2 comments:

Ed Sousa said...

Prayer to the Holy Spirit
Cardinal Mercier

O Holy Spirit, beloved of my soul, I adore You.
Enlighten me, guide me, strengthen me, console me.
Tell me what I should do; give me Your orders.
I promise to submit myself to all that You desire of me and to accept all that You permit to happen to me.
Let me only know Your Will.

Ed Sousa said...

Prayer for the Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit

Christ Jesus, before ascending into heaven, you promised to send the Holy Spirit to your apostles and disciples. Grant that the same Spirit may perfect in our lives the work of your grace and love. Grant us the Spirit of fear of the Lord that we may be filled with loving reverence toward you; the Spirit of piety that we might find peace and fulfillment in the service of God while serving others; the Spirit of fortitude that we may bear our cross with you and, with courage overcome the obstacles that interfere with our salvation; the Spirit of knowledge that we may know you and know ourselves and grow in holiness; the Spirit of understanding to enlighten our minds with the light of your truth; the Spirit of counsel that we may choose the surest way of doing your will, seeking first the kingdom. Grant us the Spirit of wisdom that we may aspire to the things that last forever. Teach us to be your faithful disciples and animate us in every way with your Spirit. Amen.