2/5/12

LIFE-LINES


LIFE-LINES

"Is not man's life on earth a drudgery?" -Job 7:1

Most people can relate to Job, for they have endured tragedies, deaths in their families, sicknesses, pain, and sufferings. Even those who have so far had easier lives know that life can be, and almost inevitably will be, hard. We all have the question of Job: "Is not man's life on earth a drudgery?" We feel as if we "have been assigned months of misery" (Jb 7:3). Our days and nights drag on ever so slowly (Jb 7:4), while at the same time life passes all too quickly.

We cannot change the drudgery and slavery of our human condition. For example, Paul tried for years to rise above our human condition; finally, he was forced to cry out in desperation: "What a wretched man I am! Who can free me from this body under the power of death?" (Rm 7:24) Unlike Job, Paul amazingly received an answer to this previously unanswerable question. The answer was: "Jesus Christ our Lord" (Rm 7:25).

Only Jesus can make life worth living. He alone is the Way, the Truth, and the Life (Jn 14:6). He is "our only Master and Lord" (Jude 4). "There is no salvation in anyone else, for there is no other name in the whole world given to men by which we are to be saved" (Acts 4:12).

 Jesus, I believe You are reaching out Your hand to me (see Mk 1:31). By faith, I take Your hand. You are my Savior and my only Hope.

 You, risen Jesus! Your resurrected glory has given every part of our lives great meaning. Alleluia!

1 comment:

Ed Sousa said...

Great love can change small things into great ones, and it is only love which lends value to our actions. And the purer our love becomes, the less there will be within us for the flames of suffering to feed upon, and the suffering will cease to be a suffering for us; it will become a delight! By the grace of God, I have received such a disposition of heart that I am never so happy as when I suffer for Jesus, whom I love with every beat of my heart.

Diary of Saint Maria Faustina