11/14/11

Jesus of Nazareth is Passing By

Jesus, son of David have pity on me!

Meditation: Luke 18:35-43

“Jesus of Nazareth is passing by!” (Luke 18:37)

What faith! As soon as the blind man heard that Jesus was passing by, he called out at the top of his lungs: “Jesus, son of David, have pity on me!” (Luke 18:38). He was not going to let fear or shame make him miss the biggest moment of his life. In fact, when the people told him to be quiet, he shouted even louder: “Son of David, have pity on me!”(18:39). Jesus was so impressed with this man’s faith and persistence that he answered: “Have sight; your faith has saved you” (18:42).

If you had an opportunity to be that close to Jesus as he passed by, wouldn’t you cry out to him as well? The truth is, this is what happens every time you go to Mass! From the moment of consecration on, Jesus is truly present on the altar under the signs of bread and wine. He is there, passing right before your eyes! So go ahead and call out to him — in your heart, of course! Go ahead and ask him to heal you and your loved ones. Don’t let fear or shame hold you back. Just repeat this blind man’s plea, and then trust that he will answer you.

What will Jesus’ response be? He will say the same thing that he said to the blind man: “Your faith has saved you.”

Did you know that the Greek word for “saved” here can also mean “healed”? That’s right. Jesus can bring healing to your life. As you persist in calling out to him at Mass, not only will your faith be built up and your soul saved; your life can be healed as well. The pain of old wounds can be lessened. Anxiety, bitterness, and cynicism can fall away. Even physical ailments may be resolved. So fix your spiritual eyes on Jesus at the altar. Gaze on him as he passes by, and cry out to him. This consistent focus on Jesus can bring you closer to him in this life, and open the door of heaven itself!

“Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me! As I gaze upon you today, pass by me with your healing touch, and save me. I love you, Lord.”

1 Maccabees 1:10-15,41-43, 54-57,62-63;
Psalm 119:53,61, 134,150,155,158
http://en.gloria.tv/?media=215058

1 comment:

Ed Sousa said...

Matthew 8:5-11_
When Jesus entered Capernaum, a centrurian approached him and
appealed to him, saying, "Lord, my servant is lying at home
paralyzed, suffering dreadfully." Jesus said to him, "I will come and
cure him." The centurian said in reply, "Lord, I am not worthy to
have you enter under my roof; only say the word and my servant will
be healed. For I also am a man subject to authority, with soldiers
subject me. And I say to one, ´Go,´ and he goes; to another, ´Come
here,´ and he comes; and to my slave, ´Do this,´ and the slave does
it." When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following
him, "Amen I say to you, in no one in Israel have I found such
faith. I say to you, many will come from east and west and will
recline with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob at the banquet in the kingdom
of heaven."